Dry mouth is a condition that is caused due to the lack of enough saliva in your mouth. You might come across dry mouth also being referred to as Xerostomia. It is very frustrating to deal with dry mouth problems and there are simply various causes of dry mouth. While you might be desperately searching for dry mouth remedies, understanding the causes of dry mouth initially might help.
What are the Causes of Dry Mouth?
OTC drugs and other medications that you take might have an impact on your health causing dry mouth problems. This is simply a side effect of the drug. OTC medicines and drugs are one of the leading causes of dry mouth. If you do face this problem, it is recommended that you visit a doctor.
Dry mouth and aging are not generally related to one another. But, aging people tend to take more medicines than others. This might explain why dry mouth problems increase with age.
Did you know that a damage or injury to the nerves can also result in dry mouth? The neck and the head area where nerve damage frequently occurs can give rise to dry mouth problems.
Cancer patients might face dry mouth and hair loss problems during the treatment process. This is a common side effect of chemotherapy and it is recommended that the patient follows the doctor’s advice.
The lack of sufficient fluids in your body might give rise to dry mouth. You are supposed to keep your body hydrated and take adequate care if you had spent too much time in the sun. Exercising or playing for excessive amounts of time might cause dehydration which eventually causes dry mouth.
Smoking or chewing tobacco has proven to be connected with increased risk of dry mouth symptoms.
Fun Facts about Dry Mouth
- It occurs more commonly among the aging population.
- If you have dry mouth, it is recommended that you avoid sugary drinks and spicy food.
- Dry mouth is a very common side effect of medication and drugs.
- Common symptoms of dry mouth include bad breath, cracked lips and sticky saliva.
What are the Various Dry Mouth Remedies?
There are some effective ways by which you can keep dry mouth problems at bay. Some of these highly recommended and proven dry mouth remedies include:-
- Eating a nutritious meal which includes foods such as carrots and celery.
- Sipping non-carbonated fluids which are sugar-free.
- Avoiding alcohol and stopping the use of tobacco products.
- Breathing through the nose and not the mouth. Breathing through your mouth especially while sleeping can cause dry mouth.
- Avoiding spicy foods and acidic food might be an effective remedy.
So what have you learned? The bottom line is that dry mouth isn’t a disease by itself rather a symptom of other conditions. Dry mouth problems can be treated and overcome with proper care. The initial step, however, is to identify the causes of dry mouth and make use of effective dry mouth remedies. We hope that you are now equipped with enough information to deal with dry mouth problems.
Got any questions or anything that you would like to share? Let us know in the comments section below!