Rare Disease Day is an important health day that takes place on the last day of February every year. One of the main objectives of Rare Disease Day is to help people around the world know about the Rare Diseases and their impact on overall health. Building awareness and helping people know about these rare diseases can help in preventing the diseases and contributing to a healthy place to live in.
What is a Rare Disease?
A rare disease which is also sometimes referred to as an orphan disease is a disorder which affects a small percentage of the population. About 1 in 20 people are affected with rare disease. Although rare disease disorder is rare, patients and family have a common struggle. Rare disease day helps in addressing these concerns and making it easier for people with rare disease to live.
This year the Rare Disease Day is celebrated on February 28th. This health awareness day has certain goals and missions. Take a look at them below.
Goals of Rare Disease Day
- Building Awareness: Not many know about rare diseases. This is simply because the disease is rare as the name suggests. Only 1 in 20 people will live with a rare disease at some point in their life. This is why building awareness about rare disease becomes crucial.
- Diagnose Rare Disease: There are a lot of times when the rare disease goes undiagnosed. This day helps in improving the knowledge amongst the general public and encouraging them to get diagnosed. The earlier the treatment, the better chances of recovering soon.
- Help People Living With Rare Disease: The third objective of Rare Disease Day is to help people living with “rare disease” and facilitate better treatment methods.
Theme for Rare Disease Day 2018
The theme for Rare Disease Day this year is Research. Not many rare diseases have injections or a readymade treatment. There are many rare diseases whose treatment methods are still pondered on. This is why encouraging research in the treatment of rare disease can be helpful.
What Can You Do on Rare Disease Day?
There is a list of simple things that you can do to contribute to this health awareness day. If you are running out of ideas, here is a list of activities for a kick-start.
- Help your friends and family know about rare disease. Share with them about what you’ve learned.
- Simply share this read on social media. Make use of #RareDiseaseDay to reach out to more people.
- Help people living with rare disease day. A small act of kindness is second to none.
- Encourage your friends and family members to get diagnosed. In most cases, the disease goes unnoticed and thus diagnosis is crucial.
The rare disease can be overcome with proper care and diagnosis. Pushing the research of these diseases is an on-going process and is crucial for new treatment methods. With your co-operation and involvement, we can hopefully find a solution to rare disease soon.
Share this read with your friends and help them learn about rare disease. Have a few thoughts? Drop them in the comment section below.