You might feel anxious every now and then. This is normal as it is due to emotions. You might feel a bit nervous before you take an exam or take a medical test. This is categorized as normal anxiety and is perfectly fine as long as it’s within limits. Anxiety disorders are different in a way though.
Anxiety disorders are a group of mental illnesses which causes severe distress that prevents you from carrying on with your life. Anxiety disorders can cause constant fear and worry. This can be overwhelming and disrupt you from doing casual everyday activities. Treatment can help people in overcoming anxiety disorders and keep a check of their anxiety. But firstly, you need to get to know about anxiety and the type of disorders.
What is an Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety Disorder is an umbrella term which is used for different types of situations and conditions. They are basically mental illnesses which can disrupt the normal functioning of your everyday life and can induce nervousness and distress. The different types of anxiety disorders include: –
- Panic Disorder: You feel your heart racing suddenly and you have a feeling of terror at random. A panic attack involves you sweating, having a chest pain and a feeling of palpitations.
- Social Anxiety Disorders: These disorders are also called as social phobia. This is a disorder or situation wherein you feel self-conscious about yourself in everyday social situations. You fixate about others judging you and it isn’t easy for you to interact with people easily. You might observe an increase in heart rate when talking to people in a social environment.
- General Anxiety Disorder: General Anxiety disorder is a common situation which makes you feel excessive and unrealistic worry that includes tension. There is a little or no reason for the worry and or tension that you feel. This is however treatable with proper medical care.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
- Feelings of being on the edge or restlessness
- Problems Related to Sleep/ Insomnia
- Shortness of Breath
- Dry Mouth and Nausea
- Tense Muscles
- A feeling of Powerlessness and Fearfulness
What are the Causes of Anxiety Disorders?
There aren’t any exact causes of anxiety disorders which can be pin pointed to other medical conditions. A combination of things such as changes in the brain cells, environmental stress and even changes in the genes might lead to anxiety disorders. If there has been a history of anxiety disorder in your family, then this might be linked to the faulty circuits in the brain.
A lot of people do not realize that they have anxiety disorders. These disorders are thus thought to be underdiagnosed conditions. Anxiety disorders generally are accompanied by other mental health conditions such as depression, panic attacks, etc. which can further increase the risks. You should remember that anxiety disorders are treatable and it is always better if the disorder is diagnosed in the beginning stages.
The treatment process can be divided into two types which include medication and psychotherapy. One of these therapies works for you better based on the type of the disorder you are dealing with. You might want to talk with your doctor about considering the better therapy for you.
- Medication: There are a lot of antidepressants that work for anxiety disorders. Some of the antidepressants such as Lexapro and Prozac can help you during the treatment process. Low dose antipsychotic drugs might also help to get the best out of other treatment processes.
- Tablets such as Fludac and Lonazep are the most commonly prescribed tablets for dealing with anxiety disorders. These might be effective for social and general anxiety problems. Other medicines such as Clonotril Plus Tablet and Zaipz 1mg Tablet contain Clonazepam which can treat Anxiety Issues. Again, consult with your doctor before taking any medication.
- Psychotherapy is a type of counseling that takes care of the emotional response to a particular mental illness. A mental health specialist might help you understand and deal with a particular type of anxiety disorder.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is effective in helping you identify the thought process that triggers deep anxiety and helps you change the thought process effectively.
Anxiety problems are better treated when diagnosed in early stages. You need to take a look at the symptoms of anxiety disorders. If you feel convinced if there are many symptoms that are true, we recommend that you visit a medical professional regarding this problem. You should stay positive as anxiety issues are treatable and they can be overcome when proper care is undertaken.
How did you help someone to overcome anxiety disorders? Share with us your story on this and feel free to ask any questions!