Premature greying of hair is a common issue which is on a rise in India. This definitely has something to do with how you take care of your hair. Hair is supposed to turn grey only as you age and in later years of your life, but this is now seen among people when they turn 25 or even in teenagers. This has mainly something to do with a bad lifestyle and not so healthy diet.
Grey Hair – How Does Premature Greying Occur?
Premature greying of hair happens when your hair cells aren’t able to produce the pigment. These cells are responsible for producing your hair colour due to some reason, they aren’t able to! Greying of hair is a natural process but happens with old age. Your body’s ability to synthesise normal melanin pigment decreases and thus your hair starts turning grey. But, premature greying of hair isn’t natural and this requires therapeutics and treatment processes.
Reasons for Premature Greying of Hair
There is a lot of debate surrounding premature greying of hair and it causes. There have been several types of research which give us insights and it has been found that there are 5 main causes for hair turning grey at an early age.
- Genetics: This is one of the primary reasons for premature greying. If your parent has grey hair at earlier ages, then even you are more likely to face problems with hair turning grey at an earlier age. Although there is no certainty that this would happen, the chances are high.
- Lack of Vitamins & Minerals: If you want to avoid grey hair, you should make sure that you nourish your hair with Vitamin C, B12, E, Zinc and copper. These are the vitamins & minerals responsible for assisting metabolic processes in your hair and supply its natural colours. Lack of Vitamin C & B12 and E obviously makes the hair turn grey.
- Smoking: Smoking is again something which needs to be addressed. It causes premature greying of hair. One such reason is the development of free radicals in your body due to smoking. Smoking also causes oxidative stress which decreases the ability of your cells to produce melanin and other pigmentation. This results in hair greying.
- Your Diet: If you are probably not on a healthy diet, the chances of premature greying are high. Junk food or processed food accelerates premature ageing as oxidative stress increases. This again results in loss of hair colour. Make sure that you avoid fast food or junk food. Eat more fruits and vegetables as this would help you out.
- Lifestyle: If you are a couch potato and prefer to laze on your couch or bed most of the time, then the risks of premature greying are again high. Your cells produce pigment better when you sweat and exercise. It is imperative to have an active lifestyle which involves an exercise session of 30 minutes every day.
How to Naturally Avoid Premature Greying of Hair?
- Natural herbs are enriched with zinc and iron. Applying this herb to your hair will give it a touch of shine.
- Coconut Oil mixed with lemon is a pretty effective natural remedy. This mixture, when applied on your hair, will make it smooth & prevent premature greying of hair. Lemon is also rich in Vitamin C and is the best to nourish your hair.
- Seafood is an excellent source to fight premature greying. They are rich in iodine, zinc and copper and help to fight premature greying. Consume sea foods once a week to increase zinc and iodine intake.
- Black Walnuts are economical remedies and they help in maintaining the colour of your hair.
- The old ayurvedic treatment which involves a combination of sesame oil, carrot juice and fenugreek seeds works just fine when applied regularly. This prevents greying of hair and provides ample nutrition to hair.
Greying of hair is a natural process with old age. Premature greying is an indication that your hair isn’t getting enough nutrients and minerals. Since premature ageing of hair is on a rise, it is important that you make some healthy lifestyle changes. It isn’t possible to revert the colour of grey hair back to black. The remedies and techniques mentioned above are effective to avoid premature greying of hair. Sadly, there is no way by which you can turn a grey hair to black again by natural methods. Make sure that you adapt to a healthy lifestyle and have nutritious food which will prevent further greying of hair.
What is your take on premature greying of hair and how do you prevent your hair from turning grey? Feel free to let us know by commenting below!