The winter is here and so is the time of the year when cough problems seem to be on a rise. A cough might be due to a cold or a sore throat but you simply will be ready to do anything to get rid of it. Cough can really be frustrating. But don’t worry, take a look at these proven cough remedies which are guaranteed to give you a quick relief.
Cough can be of different types. You might be dealing with a dry cough at times and there are times when you ought to know to get rid of a chesty cough. According to the type of cough that you’re dealing with, there are different cough remedies.
What’s a Cough?
A cough is your body’s natural reflex that helps you expel unwanted substances from the airways. This cough can be of two types: –
- Chesty Cough
- Dry Cough
The former is when mucus builds up in the lungs and your body is trying to push out the mucus and irritation caused by coughing. A dry cough occurs due to the irritation caused by the upper airways and the throat. While both of them might cause you discomfort, dealing with the two might be different.
We have mentioned below the home remedies for cough – both dry and chesty cough types.
Home Remedy for a Chesty Cough
Chesty coughs usually arise due to mucus present in your lungs. Your remedies should make sure that the mucus is broken down making it easier for it to be expelled by coughing. There are a few remedies which work for overcoming a chesty cough.
- Cough Syrups
- Warm water and turmeric
- Hot beverages
Pro Tip: Look out for a cough syrup which contains guaifenesin, ipecacuanha and squill. These ingredients will help you with a quick relief and break down the mucus effectively.
Home Remedy for a Dry Cough
As opposed to a chesty cough, dry coughs generally do not produce any mucus. You could often feel the start with a tickle behind your throat. You might often find dry coughs to be accompanied by sore throats. This can often cause a lot of irritation and also make the cough worse as you lie down.
- A dry cough can be treated with the help of a cough suppressant medicine.
- Pholcodine or dextromethorphan are medicines which help to reduce the coughing reflex by acting on the brain.
- Gargle salt water to ease your throat and get relieved from dry cough.
Effective Cough Remedies for Relief
In general, you can get relieved from coughing problems by following these tips. These 5 general tips for cough relief will help you in overcoming cough problems as soon as your body can.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is the key. You ought to frequently drink water and this is one of the most effective cough remedies.
- You need rest. Sleep tight and night and don’t overwork your body during the day. Only with proper rest, your body will be able to fight the virus.
- Inhale steam. This technique might be old school but is indeed very effective. Mix Vicks Vapour Rub with steam for a refreshing airflow to your lungs.
- You could make use of a lozenge to keep the back of your throat lubricated.
- Make use of a supplement to boost your immunity. Zinc and Vitamin C supplements seem to get the job done.
Overcoming coughing problems might work fine if you know the type of cough that you are dealing with. Know the type of cough and make sure that you follow these cough remedies at home so that you have a quick recovery. Eating fruits and making use of vitamin supplements will strengthen your immunity and prevent coughing problems in the first place. It is therefore wise to prevent the virus instead of taking time to cure it.
How do you deal with cough problems? Do you have a specific home remedy for cough that you follow? Feel free to let us know in the comments below!