Sunstrokes are pretty serious and are on a rise in India. With the rise in temperature in major metros in India, it is imperative that you stay well hydrated in an order to prevent sunstrokes. But sometimes, in spite of all the preventive measures undertaken, some people still do get sunstrokes. This article will help you have a basic knowledge of how to take care of & treat a person with sunstroke. But first, get to know the basics.
What is a Sunstroke?
A Sunstroke is a type of heatstroke caused due to the exposure of the sun. A sunstroke occurs when your body’s temperature rises more than 105F and it can be very critical. Dehydration often occurs along with sunstrokes and it is important to carefully take care of a person affected with sunstroke. Make sure that you follow these steps below while treating a person with sunstroke. Just to remind you, the below steps are mainly for first aid purposes only. You would have to visit a doctor to know about the treatment procedure for complete recovery.
What Are the Immediate Treatment Steps?
- Check for the person’s temperature and note down signs of any shock.
- Know if the person is conscious or if they fainted. If the person has fainted, make them lie down on the left side with their left leg facing upwards.
- If the person has seizures, make sure that you clear the patient’s area and place a pillow under their head.
- Do not give any medicine, tablet or capsule to the person. This will only make the situation worse. It is important to avoid medication immediately.
- Make sure that you cool the person down. Get the person to a cool and comfortable area and make them lie down in an upright position. At the same time, avoid very cold temperatures as well.
- Mist and fan the person. You can also make use of wet rags to remove the heat from the person’s body. Help the person to remove any extra clothing and this might help them in the cooling process.
- You need to remember that the person is dehydrated. They need electrolytes and vitamins. Coconut water is the best natural source of electrolytes. You can also make use of electrolyte juices to compensate for the loss of salts from the person’s body.
- Make sure that the person is calm. Help them breathe slowly and this can actually help them regain consciousness.
- You can massage the person’s muscles. This will help increase blood circulation in the muscles. Calf muscles are the ones that are frequently affected.
- Adequate water and minerals need to be provided. Make sure that you visit your doctor nearby and follow the instructions given by your medical practitioner for further recovery.
Sunstrokes are critical and need to be avoided. As the saying goes, prevention is always better than cure. With the temperatures rising in India, sunstrokes might also take a toll if you do not take proper care of your body. You can follow a few steps to protect yourself from the heat and it can actually help you prevent sunstrokes.
How to Prevent Sunstrokes This Summer?
- If you spend a lot of time out in the sun, then you might be at more risk. Make sure that you are well hydrated and wear a cap or a hat to protect yourself from the scorching sun.
- Your clothing too plays an important role. Wear light clothes and make sure that you do not go out in the sun during peak heat hours (mostly between 12 pm – 2 pm).
- Avoid staying under direct sunlight and you can also make use of sunscreens to prevent skin damage and diseases.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages as they tend to dehydrate you. Drink plenty of water during the day.
- Coconut water is an ideal source to make sure that you have enough electrolytes in your body. Make sure that you have one every day. This will help you beat the heat.
Let us quickly recap the key points you ought to know. Sunstroke is caused when you are over exposed to the sun and not well hydrated. It is important to drink lots of water to prevent sunstrokes. In case a person has sunstroke, make sure that they do not panic and make them lie down on the left side. Do no give any medication immediately. Make sure that the person affected with sunstroke gets enough electrolytes and hydration. Coconut water might be just the best remedy for sunstroke. Always wear a cap and protect your body from the sun if you spend a lot of time in the hot sun. Sunstroke can be easily prevented if necessary precautions are taken.
How do you take care of yourself during summers? Tell us how you prevent sunstrokes and stay healthy. Feel free to share your experiences during summer by commenting below!