Isabgol a.k.a. Psyllium Husk is a health-friendly product. It is naturally available and the Isabgol benefits for your health are endless.
The name Isabgol might sound not so friendly to the ears but people have been using Isabgol for years now. You can find it in almost every household and it is known for relieving problems related to constipation.
The Psyllium Husk is not just limited to dealing with problems related to constipation, it has a plethora of other health benefits too.
So before we go ahead with the different ways in which Isabgol can be used, you should know what exactly Isabgol is in the first place.
What is Isabgol (Psyllium Husk)?
People often compare the plant of Isabgol and Aloe Vera as both have similar looking leaves. Isabgol is the seed of a plant called Planovate. These seeds have been used for many years now as they are known for Ayurveda, thanks to their – Gentle, Laxative, cooling and diuretic properties.
Okay, now that you know what Isabgol is, let’s take you through its uses and health benefits.
1. Isabgol is mainly used to treat Constipation
What? How? Why?
- There is a gelatinous substance that is present in Isabgol which forms a gel when soaked in water. The laxative properties of this gel help in easing bowel movement in your intestines.
- The gel absorbs bacteria and other harmful toxins that are present in the intestine.
- This provides good lubrication inside the intestine walls which help in relieving constipation related problems.
Did You Know?: Relieving constipation related problems isn’t the only health benefit associated with Isabgol. There are others to keep you healthy as well which we have mentioned below.
What are the Other Isabgol Benefits?
2. Natural Remedy for Diarrhea
The cure for diarrhea is right here if done the right way. The Psyllium Husk powder is an amazing remedy for diarrhea.
- Mix Isabgol with curd & consume.
- Curd is enriched with probiotics which help in healing the infection.
- Isabgol powder will help in hardening the stool thus getting rid of diarrhea.
3. Relief From Acidity
Psyllium Husk helps in creating a protective wall of the stomach and reduces the excessive secretion of digestive acids. Due to this, you get relief from acidity as the effect of acid in your stomach is nullified.
- Mix Isabgol Powder with cold water.
- Take it after a meal.
4. Aids in Weight Loss
It might surprise you that this amazing nature’s gift can help in losing weight. But how is that possible?
Isabgol can help you curb your food craving and it cleanses the colon. This helps in proper digestion of food and also keeps you satiated – preventing you from eating more.
- Prepare a mixture of the husk with warm water.
- Add a bit of lemon juice to the mixture and stir well.
- Take this on an empty stomach every morning.
- This will also address your food cravings.
5. Better Digestion
Isabgol helps in overcoming indigestion problems. The takeaway point is that Isabgol is enriched with fiber. This cleans your stomach walls from excessive toxins and also helps in the movement of food through your intestines.
- Take Isabgol powder with buttermilk right after your meal.
- Do this every day for an improved digestive system.
Also Read: Best Yoga Poses for Better Digestion
6. Control Diabetes
Isabgol has a natural gelatin substance. This helps in breaking down and also absorbing glucose in your body. This lowers your glucose intake and thereby helps to control Type 2 diabetes.
- Take Isabgol right after your meal along with water.
- Control Diabetes & stay healthy.
7. Lowers High Blood Cholesterol
A major health benefit of taking Isabgol is that it lowers your bad cholesterol levels in the body. This is because Isabgol forms a think wall around your walls and prevents your body from absorbing cholesterol.
You Might Also Like: Everything You Need to Know about High Cholesterol
What are the Various Isabgol Side Effects (if any)?
- Side effects of Isabgol powder and seeds are very rare. There aren’t any severe allergic reactions related to Isabgol.
- The most important point is that you shouldn’t over consume Isabgol. Take how much ever required.
- Stomach cramping might occur in some cases and this is when you must visit your doctor.
Can You Take Isabgol Powder during Pregnancy?
Yes! Isabgol is safe to consume during lactation as well as pregnancy.
Although, it is highly recommended that you consult your doctor before consuming.
Now that you know that various health benefits of this amazing natural extract, let us know how Isabgol (Psyllium Husk) has benefited your health in the comments below!