HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is a deadly virus that can lead to AIDS if not treated. Once your body is attacked by HIV, you can’t get rid of it, as there is no cure. That means you’ll have the virus for life. Therefore, it is very important know if you have HIV and the only way to do it is by undergoing HIV test.
Who should get tested for HIV?
CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) recommends that all individuals between the age of 13-64 years should get tested for HIV at least once as a part of their routine health check-up. In general, people at high risk of getting infected from HIV should undergo HIV test every year. Bisexual men and sexually active gays may benefit from undergoing test every 3 to 6 months.
Here are some factors that increase the risk of HIV
- Having sexual intercourse with a HIV infected person or someone whose HIV status is unknown
- Sharing syringes, needles, injecting drugs or other using drug equipment in an unsafe manner
- Having unprotected sexual intercourse
In case, you have sex with anyone who has any of above mentioned HIV risk factors, consult your health care provider about risk of virus infection and how frequently you should undergo HIV test.
Measures to Prevent HIV Virus
HIV spreads from one person to another. However, one can prevent its transmission by following safety measures.
- Getting tested for HIV (there are many tests such as ELISA, RNA etc.) to detect the virus
- Avoiding multiple partners
- Always use condoms for any kind of sexual activity. Condoms are very effective in preventing STDs like HIV if used properly. If you are looking to buy condoms, explore wide variety of condoms at any nearest Apollo pharmacy stores. At this store, you can between condoms of different flavours and regular condoms.