Food to eat and avoid for weight management during PCOS
By - 23 March 2023
Share this article
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a condition in which the ovaries produce a large number of immature or partially mature eggs, which develop into cysts.
PCOS is characterized by irregular or absent menstrual periods, painful menstrual periods, excess facial hair, acne breakouts, pelvic ache, and difficulty having a baby.
There's an old wives' tale about PCOS being the "lazy-girl syndrome," which is caused by being overweight. But it is just that - a myth!
Polycystic ovarian disease affects nearly one-third of all women worldwide. Weight loss can be difficult for those suffering from PCOS. Weight gain is a symptom of constant lethargy that leads to a condition that makes losing weight extremely difficult.
Those who have had PCOS for a long time and have not found medications to be very helpful should see the best gynecologist right away. A specialized doctor can assist you in reversing PCOS by precisely addressing the underlying cause of the problem.
PCOS diet: Food to eat and avoid
Food to eat
- Meals with a low GI digest more slowly, so they do not cause insulin levels to rise as much or as quickly as foods with a higher GI, such as some carbs. Whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, non-starchy vegetables, and other unprocessed, low-carbohydrate foods are all part of a low GI diet.
The following foods must be included in PCOS:
- Natural and unprocessed foods
- Omega-3 fatty acid-rich fish, such as salmon, tuna, and sardines
- Olive oil, avocados, and coconuts are good sources of healthy fats
- Kale, spinach, and broccoli are examples of leafy vegetables
- Dark red fruit like crimson grapes, blueberries, blackberries, and cherries
- Spices like turmeric and cinnamon
- Dark chocolate should be consumed in moderation
- Kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils are examples of pulses and beans
- Walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, pistachios, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds are examples of nuts and seeds
Include SlimBiome in your daily diet, it offers healthy, hunger free weight management in PCOS. GoFigure shakes and shots are best choice for PCOS weight management.
Food to avoid
Patients suffering from PCOS should avoid foods that are already considered unhealthy in general.
- avoid foods that are high in inflammation: Controlling inflammation is an important aspect of PCOS management. An anti-inflammatory diet has shown some promise in the treatment of PCOS.
- Limit dairy: Dairy consumption increases blood glucose levels, stimulates insulin growth factors, and worsens inflammation. Avoiding dairy from the diet saw an improvement in acne, a symptom of PCOS.
The following foods must be avoided in PCOS:
- Cakes, pastries, and white bread are examples of refined carbohydrate sources
- Fried foods and fast foods like pizza and hamburgers, French fries, chicken sticks
- Sodas and energy drinks are examples of carbonated beverages. They contain a lot of sugar
- Processed meats like salami, sausages, and hot dogs, as well as cured ham and bacon and luncheon meat
- Steaks, pork, and hamburgers are examples of red meat
A healthy diet combined with physical activity can help people ovulate regularly, become insulin sensitive, and maintain stable hormone levels.
Exercises for PCOS
Regular exercise has always been regarded as a highly effective method of weight loss. The exercises listed below are some of the most effective and beneficial for PCOS treatment and weight management.
1. Cardiovascular Exercises
Cardio exercises such as jogging, cycling, swimming, and brisk walking can all help to lose weight in PCOS. These exercises improve insulin sensitivity, which can help prevent not only diabetes and obesity, but also a variety of other diseases.
2. High-Intensity Interval Training
HIIT workouts alternate between short bouts of high- and low-intensity exercises at regular intervals. These workouts can help to lose weight, burn belly fat, and improve insulin resistance.
Women with PCOS have an enhanced physical response to stress, which can easily lead to weight gain. Yoga, among other mind-body exercises like tai chi and pilates, can not only burn calories but also help manage stress levels to prevent PCOS symptoms from worsening.
Regular exercise, healthy diet, weight management drinks, and doctor advices can control PCOS symptoms and prevent worsening. Apollo Pharmacy is with you with a scientifically approved SlimBiome supplement, GoFigure.
Gofigure is a high fibrous with no added sugar and low glycemic index (GI) a perfect weight management supplement for PCOS patients.
Buy Apollo Products
Order Online Test
Buy Apollo Products
Order Online Test
Recommended for you
Healthy tips to protect skin in winter
It’s a well-known fact that our skin requires more care during the winter season than ever before. What happens to our skin during winter? During winter the skin’s barrier is disrupted due to the fluctuation in the air quality for e.g., cold air outside, hot air inside, and dry air everywhere. This kind of climate results in dry and itchy skin for everyone and worsens pre-existing skin conditions, especially in patients suffering from eczema and psoriasis.
Food Items That Can Help Control Blood Sugar & How to Keep Your Sugar Levels Balanced
If you have diabetes, it is important to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly. Uncontrolled blood sugar can lead to serious health problems. In this blog post, we will discuss some food items that may help to control blood sugar. These include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. We will also provide tips on how to keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
Stop Mosquitoes From Biting You This Summer
Make certain that mosquitoes do not ruin your summer fun! Keep those pesky insects at bay by following these guidelines. #ApolloPharmacy #BeatTheSummerWithApolloPharmacy #BiteFreeSummer #MosquitoRepellent #MosquitoZappers
Sign up for our free Health Library Daily Newsletter
Get doctor-approved health tips, news, and more.