Mederma Cream: Uses And Side Effects
By Apollo Pharmacy, Published on- 27 September 2023, Updated on -25 October 2023
Share this article
Mederma Cream is a popular topical product that is commonly used to improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, and other skin imperfections. It contains a unique blend of ingredients, including Allantoin, Cepalin, and a proprietary botanical extract. In this article, we will delve into the diverse applications of Mederma Cream, shedding light on its uses, potential benefits, and important considerations regarding side effects, empowering you to make informed decisions for your skincare journey.
What is Mederma Cream?
Mederma Cream is a popular topical skincare product known for its ability to improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, and other skin imperfections. It is formulated with a unique blend of ingredients, including Allium cepa (onion) extract, which has been shown to promote collagen production and improve scar texture.
1. How does Mederma Cream Work?
When applied to the affected area, the cream works by hydrating the skin and improving its elasticity, which can help reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks.
The onion extract in the cream also helps to regulate excessive collagen production, which can lead to smoother and more even-toned skin over time.
2. Forms of Mederma Cream
The cream is available in various forms, including gel and ointment. It can be purchased over the counter without a prescription, making it easily accessible for individuals seeking treatment for their scars or stretch marks.
Uses of Mederma Cream
Mederma is a well-known brand of skincare products that primarily focuses on scar management and skincare solutions. One of its most popular products is Mederma Cream, which is specifically designed to address various skin issues. Here are some of the common uses of Mederma Cream:
1. Treatment of Scars
Mederma Cream is known for its effectiveness in reducing the appearance of scars and improving skin texture. It contains an active ingredient called Allium cepa extract, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help in scar reduction. It is effective in treating various types of scars such as acne scars.
The cream helps to soften and smoothen the scar tissue, making it less noticeable over time. Continuous application of the cream for at least three months can lead to visible improvement in:
- Scar colour
- Overall appearance
It is important to note that individual results may vary, and the effectiveness of Mederma Cream depends on various factors such as the size and age of the scar.
2. Stretch Marks Prevention and Reduction
Stretch marks are a common concern for many individuals, especially women. They often occur due to rapid weight gain or loss, pregnancy, puberty, or even certain medical conditions.
Mederma Cream contains onion extract and allantoin, which help to improve the texture and colour of stretch marks. The onion extract helps to reduce inflammation and increase collagen production, while allantoin promotes cell regeneration and moisturizes the skin.
3. Other Potential Uses of Mederma Cream
Other potential uses of mederma cream are:
- Surgical Scars: Mederma Cream can be used to minimise the appearance of surgical scars, such as those caused by cesarean section, appendectomy, or other surgeries. It can help reduce redness, swelling, and itching associated with healing scars.
- Burns and Skin Injuries: Mederma Cream can also be beneficial in treating burn scars and skin injuries. It helps to soften and smooth the scar tissue, improving flexibility and reducing discomfort.
Safety and Side Effects of Mederma Cream
Mederma Cream is considered safe for most individuals when used as directed. However, it is always advisable to consult a healthcare professional before using any new product, especially if you have sensitive skin or known allergies. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should also seek medical advice before using Mederma Cream.
1. Common Side Effects of using Mederma Cream
Mild itching or irritation at the site of application is a common side effect that usually resolves on its own. If any of these symptoms occur, discontinue use and seek immediate medical attention.
Mederma Cream may make your skin more sensitive to the sun's harmful UV rays. It's essential to use sunscreen and limit sun exposure while using the product, especially if you're applying it to areas of your skin that are regularly exposed to the sun.
2. Allergic Reactions and Precautions
If you have a known allergy to any of the ingredients in Mederma Cream, avoid using it. Symptoms might include:
- Difficulty breathing
Conduct a patch test on a small area of skin before applying the cream to larger areas to check for any allergic reactions.
3. Interactions with other Skincare Products or Medications
While there are no known interactions between Mederma Cream and other skincare products or medications, if you have sensitive skin or an autoimmune disease such as eczema, consult a healthcare professional before usage.
How to Use Mederma Cream Properly?
To ensure you are getting the most out of this product, it is important to use it properly. Here are some step-by-step instructions for applying Mederma Cream:
1. Instructions for Applying Mederma Cream
Here is a step-by-step instructions for applying Mederma Cream:
- Clean the Affected Area: Before applying Mederma Cream, make sure to clean the affected area with mild soap and water. Pat it dry gently.
- Apply a Thin Layer: Take a small amount of Mederma Cream on your fingertips and apply a thin layer directly to the scar or stretch mark. Massage it into the skin using circular motions until it is fully absorbed.
- Repeat Twice Daily: For best results, apply Mederma Cream twice daily, once in the morning and once at night.
2. Recommended Frequency and Duration of Use
The recommended frequency and duration of use of Mederma Cream can vary depending on the type of scar or skin condition you are treating and the specific instructions provided on the product packaging.
- For New Scars: Use Mederma Cream as soon as the wound has healed or stitches have been removed. Continue using it for at least 8 weeks to see noticeable improvements in the appearance of the scar.
- For Existing Scars: Apply Mederma Cream regularly for 3-6 months to see significant results.
- Avoid Open Wounds: Avoid using Mederma Cream on open wounds or stitches as it can cause infection or delayed healing.
3. Tips for Maximising the Benefits of Mederma Cream
Here are some tips for maximising the benefits of Mederma Cream:
- Be patient: Scar and stretch mark improvement takes time, so don't expect overnight results. Consistency is key.
- Protect from Sunlight: After applying Mederma Cream, cover the treated area with clothing or sunscreen to protect it from harmful UV rays.
- Consult a Healthcare Professional: If you have any concerns or questions about using Mederma Cream, it's always best to consult a healthcare professional for personalised advice.
Mederma Cream is a popular choice for scar treatment and improvement of skin imperfections. Its key ingredients provide potential benefits in reducing the visibility of scars, stretch marks, and other skin imperfections. While Mederma Cream is generally considered safe for most individuals, some people may experience minor side effects such as itching or redness at the application site. Overall, Mederma Cream can be an effective option for those looking to improve the appearance of their skin.
Q. How long does it take for Mederma Cream to work?
The time it takes for Mederma Cream to show results can vary from person to person. However, it is generally recommended to use the cream for at least 8 weeks before expecting significant improvements in the appearance of scars.
Q. Can Mederma Cream be used on all types of scars?
Mederma Cream is suitable for use on a variety of scars, including surgical scars, burn scars, acne scars, and stretch marks. However, it is always advisable to consult with your healthcare provider before using the cream on fresh or open wounds.
Q. Are there any side effects associated with using Mederma Cream?
While Mederma Cream is generally safe for most people to use, some individuals may experience mild skin irritation or allergic reactions. It is recommended to perform a patch test before applying the cream to a larger area of the skin.
Q. Can Mederma Cream be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women?
As with any medication or skincare product, it is always best to consult with your healthcare provider before using Mederma Cream during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
Q. Can Mederma Cream completely remove scars?
While Mederma Cream can help improve the appearance of scars, it may not completely remove them. Results may vary depending on the individual and the type of scar being treated.
Buy Apollo Products
Order Online Test
Check Your Symptoms Here
Buy Apollo Products
Order Online Test
Check Your Symptoms Here
Recommended for you
Benefits Of Drinking Beetroot Juice For Gut Health
Beetroot juice plays a healthy role in supporting digestion and gut health. The fibre and antioxidants in beetroot juice benefit digestion and gut health. You can incorporate it into your diet by making a smoothie or adding it to salad dressing.
Why Do You Need A Flu Shot Every Year?
Discover the advantages of getting an annual flu shot – protection, prevention, and peace of mind. Learn why it's essential for your health.
Oral Rehydration Salts: A Safe and Effective Way to Treat Dehydration
Learn about the benefits of oral rehydration salts (ORS) for treating dehydration. Discover how ORS can quickly replenish electrolytes and fluids lost during illness or exercise, promoting a faster recovery.
Sign up for our free Health Library Daily Newsletter
Get doctor-approved health tips, news, and more.
Science-backed Home Remedies for Burns and Blisters
Tap to continue exploring