With the levels of pollution on a rise in the country’s capital and other cities, it is high time that you take adequate measures to protect yourself from air pollution. For starters, there are anti-pollution masks and air purifiers which keep you from breathing contaminated air. But there are technicalities involved which help you choose the right mask for pollution.
Mask for pollution or anti-pollution mask is the best to use if you are on the go. You can wear them around your nose and these are portable – meaning you can take them wherever you go. While driving in midst of the polluted traffic or visiting a highly polluted area. These masks are sure to protect you from dangerous suspended particles which can be life-threatening.
There are different types of masks. You are again spoilt for choice here. You ought to know what you need and we are going to help you find out.
Types of Mask for Pollution
- Surgical Masks: The simple and flat masks worn by doctors.
- Respirators: The ones worn by traffic policemen.
- Gas Mask: These are for more professional usage.
The obvious question now is: Which type of mask is the best for you?
This depends on the pollution levels in your areas and the number of chemicals or pollutants that you are exposed to everyday.
Understanding Anti-Pollution Masks
Your primary aim is to get maximum protection from the pollutants. This is exactly what a mask for pollution should deliver. Keeping this in mind, N-95 or N-99 masks are the best anti-pollution masks for you. This is true as these two offer protection from almost most types of pollutants.
- N-95 Masks: An N-95 respirator or mask for pollution offers protection from 95% pollutants and suspended particles. An ordinary filter usually does NOT protect you from noxious gasses. Whereas both the N-95 and N-99 masks make sure that you stay protected.
- N-99 Masks: An N-99 respirator offers protection from 99% pollutants, irritants and harmful gasses out there. They also protect you from heavy metal salts and 99% of the particulate matter (PM 2.5) offering you a high level of protection against air pollution.
There are a lot of brands when it comes to choosing a particular mask for protection. 3M, Honeywell and Atlanta Healthcare are one of the best brands with high-quality anti-pollution masks in India. Sealing and fitting of masks on your face also play a major role in the selection process.
Choosing Size of a Mask for Pollution
There are different sizes of an anti-pollution mask based on your age, face size and height. The wide range of flexible sizes helps you with a comfortable fit to hold your mask well.
- If you are looking for purchasing an anti-pollution mask for your child, there are specially designed masks for kids.
- If you are an adult and seeking a mask for pollution, there are specially designed Medical Masks for adults.
- There are small size adult masks that are suitable for adults with a smaller face size. This will ensure that the mask doesn’t drop off and holds sturdily while you focus on your driving or other activities.
Anti-pollution masks are a must-have if you are bound to go out in highly polluted areas. With the pollution levels on a rise, grabbing an anti-pollution mask is a pretty smart move. If you do own a two-wheeler, we highly recommend wearing a mask for pollution so that you do not get affected by the tons of chemicals, vehicle exhausts and other pollutants.
You could also make use of air purifiers at home or for your cabin at work. This will make sure that the polluted air gets filtered out and you breathe in clean air. Breathing quality oxygen into your lungs is necessary for you to stay healthy.
Go out for a jog or run in a nearby park every morning to rejuvenate your lungs with oxygen.
How do you protect yourself from air pollution? Do you make use of pollution masks or air purifiers? Let us know your thoughts on this read by commenting below!