Diabetes is a metabolic disorder characterized by an elevated blood sugar. A disease in which the body’s ability to produce or respond to the hormone insulin is impaired, resulting in abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and elevated levels of glucose in the blood.
Types of Diabetes
1. Type 1 Diabetes
It is a chronic condition where the pancreas doesn’t produce enough insulin.
Causes of type 1 diabetes:
- Chemical toxins from the food.
- Viral or bacterial infection.
- Unidentified component causing an autoimmune reaction.
- Underlying genetic disposition may cause type 1 diabetes
2. Type 2 Diabetes
It is a chronic condition where pancreas produces insulin but doesn’t make use of it.
Causes of type 2 diabetes:
- Living a sedentary lifestyle
- Increasing age
- Bad diet
A condition in which blood sugar is high but not as high as Type 2 Diabetes.
Causes of pre-diabetes:
- Family history
- Overweight or obese
4. Gestational Diabetes
A form of high blood sugar that is more common in pregnant women.
Causes of gestational diabetes:
- Family history.
- Overweight or obese.
- Suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Have had a large baby weighing over 9lb.
Other causes of diabetes:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). One of the causes of PCOS is obesity. It may also increase the risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- The production of the cortisol hormone causes Cushing’s syndrome. This in turn might lead to diabetes.
- Patients with glucagonoma may experience diabetes because of a lack of equilibrium between levels of insulin production and glucagon production.
- Steroid diabetes is a rare form of diabetes that which is caused due to the long usage of glucocorticoid therapy.
Effects of diabetes
Diabetes has diverse effects on different organs of your body. The effects of diabetes on: –
- Heart: Diabetes leads to high blood pressure which is not good for the heart and in some cases leads to strokes.
- Eyes: In some cases, diabetes leads to retinopathy called diabetic retinopathy. Retinopathy in diabetic case occurs by swelling and leaking of retinal blood vessels. High blood pressure may also affect retinopathy.
- Kidneys: Due to diabetes if there is an effect on kidneys then it is called as diabetic nephropathy. Diabetic nephropathy can also cause due to high blood pressure.
- Nerves: The effects of diabetes on nerves may lead to some issues as nerves are involved in many of our body functions such as movement, digestion working, sex and reproduction etc.
- Digestion: Diabetes can affect digestion in a number of ways. If diabetes has caused nerve damage, this can lead to nausea, constipation.
Some medications for type 2 diabetes give rise to digestive issues, although these tend to settle down after the body gets used to them.
Symptoms of Diabetes
These are major symptoms of diabetes.
- Frequent urination
- Feeling very thirsty and drinking a lot
- Feeling very hungry
- Blurry vision
- Cuts or sores that don’t heal properly
Proper medication can aid in diabetes cure. Take a quick snap at the cure for different types of diabetes below!
Type 1 diabetes cure:
- A diabetes vaccine is consistently being investigated to provide a true biological cure for type 1 diabetes.
- Islet cell encapsulation is a popular cure, where stem cells are used to create insulin-producing cells which work without interfering immune system.
Type 2 diabetes cure:
- Type 2 diabetes may go into remission either through dietary and fitness measures.
- Gastric bypass surgery can cure Type 2 Diabetes in some special cases.
- However, type 2 diabetes patients need further research before a clear conclusion.
- A low-calorie diet can also cure type 2 diabetes.
- By maintaining a proper lifestyle.
- Maintaining a low-calorie diet.
- If needed by taking proper medication.
Gestational diabetes cure:
- Daily blood sugar monitoring.
- A healthy diet, Diabetic diet, and Physical exercise.
- Anti-Diabetic medication and Insulin.
You Might be Interested In: Fight Diabetes With These 10 Herbs & Spices
Diabetes Treatment in India
Diabetes treatment in recent days has developed a lot. The diabetes treatments include the stem cell treatment. You can cure diabetes with the help of proper medication and treatment.